Prayer Strategy #7 – Purity
Step 1. Watch This Week’s Video by Priscilla
Step 2. Review the Lesson Below
Step 3. Join the Group Discussion
Join Us in Person – Join our group discussion on the first and Third Thursday of every month July 18th through Dec 5th from 7:30 am to 9:00 am CT at:
Salem United Methodist
1200 S Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63131
Join Us Virtually – Join our group discussion on the first and Third Thursday of every month July 18th through Dec 5th from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm CT via Zoom video conference call.
Impurity hinders our relationship with God. Pure and simple.
Key Scriptures: Isaiah 59:1-2, Matthew 4:1-11, Hebrews 4:15, Hebrews 5:8
God, in all His sovereignty, allowed His own Son to experience the schemes of the enemy.
“If I were your enemy, I’d tempt you toward certain sins, making you believe they are basically (even biologically) unavoidable. I’d study your tendencies and proclivities till I learned the precise conditions that make you the most likely to indulge them. And then I’d strike right there. Again and again. Wear you down. Because if I can’t separate you from God forever, I can at least set you at odds with Him for the time being. ”
— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
“Impure living, impure thinking, impure relationships, impure affections – upside down living – creates the perfect environment and breeding ground for demonic activity. It invites him in and then fosters the perfect place for his turmoil and trouble to thrive. God calls us to purity because He wants your heart protected and at rest, inhospitable to the devil and his intentions. ”
— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
3 Tactics The Enemy Deployed Against Jesus
- Precise, Personalized Temptations
Our Biggest Strategy Against The Enemy Is God’s Word And Prayer
- God’s Word
Group Discussion Questions:
- How does a life of purity give our prayers more power?
- What is the hardest part of living a life of purity?
- What do you think the three areas (bread, jumping from the temple, kingdoms of the world) in which Satan tempted Jesus represent?
- Is there an area in your life where you sense attacks from the enemy trying to tempt you?
Write Your Prayer: Use your prayer cards and write a prayer asking God to keep your heart pure!
Here are some scriptures you might consider adding into your prayer strategy for your purity:
- There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. – Roman 8:1-2
- Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. -Roman 6:12-14
- Walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. – Galatians 5:16
- My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever. Psalm 73:26
- No temptation has overtaken you, but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
- The Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation. 2 Peter 2:9
What’s on your heart?
Please leave a comment or prayer request regarding this week’s lesson.