Prayer Strategy #2 – Focus
Step 1. Watch This Week’s Video by Priscilla
Step 2. Review the Lesson Below
Step 3. Join the Group Discussion
Join Us in Person – Join our group discussion on the first and Third Thursday of every month July 18th through Dec 5th from 7:30 am to 9:00 am CT at:
Salem United Methodist
1200 S Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63131
Join Us Virtually – Join our group discussion on the first and Third Thursday of every month July 18th through Dec 5th from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm CT via Zoom video conference call.
We live in a world full of distractions and when we take our focus off Jesus, we lose our perspective, our joy, and our hope.
The enemy works overtime to keep us distracted with obstacles, challenges, frustrations and little things that really don’t matter so that we lose sight of the one big thing that does matter…God!
“If I were your enemy, I’d disguise myself and manipulate your perspectives so that you’d focus on the wrong culprit— your husband, your friend, your hurt, your finances, anything or anyone except me. ”
— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
Although, we do indeed have a real enemy intent on distracting our prayers, Priscilla reminds us that not every bad thing that happens is an attack. We still live in a sinful world and we will have trouble. There are even times when we reap the consequences of our own behaviors.
Key Scriptures: Ephesians 6:13-18
“Prayer is a reminder to yourself, as well as a declaration to the enemy, that you know he’s there. That you’re on to him. When you bring your concerns and fears and irritations to the Lord in prayer, you’re aligning your weakling spirit with the full force of God’s Holy Spirit.”
— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
The Whole Armor of God is our powerful spiritual weapon that can be used to fight our REAL enemy!
- The Word of God
Group Discussion Questions:
- Have you been distracted into thinking your issue(s) are with someone or something else? If so, explain.
- Write down a list of people or things you have felt was the main cause of the struggle. I encourage you to use this list to help you write your prayer strategy for this lesson.
- Are there any pieces of armor you need help “sharpening”? I encourage you to include these when writing your prayer strategy for this lesson.
Write Your Prayer: Use your prayer cards and write a prayer asking God to ignite or restore your focus!
Here are some scriptures you might consider adding into your prayer strategy for focus:
- I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today or worries about tomorrow–not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below –indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39, NLT
- I will exalt you, Lord, for you rescued me. You refused to let my enemies triumph over me. Psalm 30:1, NLT
- Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise. Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me. Mic. 7:8
- Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you will revive me; you will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. Psalm 138:7
- Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Matthew 6:13, KJV
- The Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one. 2 Thess. 3:3
What’s on your heart?
Please leave a comment or prayer request regarding this week’s lesson.