Prayer Strategy #6 – Fears
Step 1. Watch This Week’s Video by Priscilla
Step 2. Review the Lesson Below
Step 3. Join the Group Discussion
Join Us in Person – Join our group discussion on the first and Third Thursday of every month July 18th through Dec 5th from 7:30 am to 9:00 am CT at:
Salem United Methodist
1200 S Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63131
Join Us Virtually – Join our group discussion on the first and Third Thursday of every month July 18th through Dec 5th from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm CT via Zoom video conference call.
There are two types of fear—health and unhealthy; or as the scripture likes to define it Fear of God and thespirit of fear.
Key Scriptures: 2 Timothy 1:7, Exodus 14:10-14, Psalms 111:10
Why does God mention fear and our mind in the same verse?
“If I were your enemy, I’d magnify your fears, making them appear insurmountable, intimidating you with enough worries until avoiding them becomes your driving motivation. I would use anxiety to cripple you, to paralyze you, leaving you indecisive, clinging to safety and sameness, always on the defensive because of what might happen. When you hear the word faith, all I’d want you to hear is “unnecessary risk.” ”
— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
“If God has given you clear direction, like He gave the children of Israel — direction that’s confirmed by His written Word and by the sounding board of wise, godly counsel — and your only real reason for resisting Him is because you’re afraid of what following Him down this path might mean or cost or entail, then you’re not only on the threshold of being disobedient, you’re about to miss an opportunity to give God some fresh, new glory by doing what He’s wanting to do through you, which is the true impetus behind His invitation for you to join Him on this scary adventure in the first place.”
— Fervent By Priscilla Shirer
A spirit of fear often brings a heavy, oppressive feeling where we panic, show signs of anxiety, depression, and even at times, physical illness because of our fear and worry.
The enemy will use this type of fear and anxiety to paralyze us and keep us from moving forward to the place of our calling.
The harder he tries to keep us from moving forward, the greater the blessing waiting ahead.
Group Discussion Questions:
- What are some of your biggest fears? Are any of these irrational fears?
- In what areas are your fears holding you back in life?
- What lies do Satan use to keep you in fear?
Write Your Prayer: Use your prayer cards and write a prayer asking God to eliminate your fears!
Here are some scriptures you might consider adding into your prayer strategy for your fears:
- But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me? Psalm 56:3-4
- For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. Psalm 32:8
- For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
What’s on your heart?
Please leave a comment or prayer request regarding this week’s lesson.